A Standard UK Visitor Visa can be applied for the purpose of leisure, visiting friends/family, business or sometimes even medical treatment. Here is a step by step guide on how I process a UK visitor Visa. This are solely based on my experience and serves only as a guide.
STEP 1. PREPARING YOUR APPLICATION
Preparing your documents for a UK visa application in Dubai can be done in the comfort of your own home (or office!). All you need is the internet, a working computer and a printer of course! You may view this link to check what type of Visa you should apply.
First step is to create an account in the Visa4UK website. This site is where you will be filling out the form, booking the appointment and paying for the application.
Make sure you have the following in order to complete the form:
- Passport – to provide personal details and travel history information
- Flight / train/other means of transport details
- Address and contact information of your accommodation (in the UK)
- Salary details – Income and Expenditure information
- Details of the other travelers (if any)
- Dependent Children information and other personal details like Criminal history, home address, etc.
You will have a chance to edit your application. Once the form is completed, it has to be signed electronically. After that no changes can be made.
- You can use one account for multiple applications.
- You can choose the validity of the Visa from 6 months, 2 years, 5 years or 10 years.
- You can only select the appointment time and date only once the form is completed.
STEP 2. BOOKING AN APPOINTMENT
After completing the form and signing the declaration, you will have the option to Book an Appointment. Here you can select the date, time and the application center location.
- For Dubai applicants, the location is in VFS Dubai Visa Application Center, Wafi Mall, 3rd Floor, Falcon Phase 2 Umm Hurair 2.
After selecting the date and time, you will be taken to the payment page.
STEP 3. PAY FOR THE APPLICATION
Applications should be paid online. You can use either a credit or debit card. The fees are as follows:
- 6 months validity: 126.00 USD
- 2 years validity: 474.00 USD
- 5 years validity: 862.00 USD
- 10 years validity: 1081.00 USD
Rates do change from time to time, visit this link to get an updated detail. Once the payment is successful, you will have access to print the visa application form which looks like this and has around 12 pages. You will also be given a GWF reference number.
STEP 4. GATHERING DOCUMENTS
After filling out the form and paying for the application, you must now prepare all the required documents to bring to the Visa application center.
The following are usually required but the application center or the consulate may ask more supporting documents:
- Appointment Letter – you can print this from Visa4UK website.
- UK Visa Application form – you can print this from Visa4UK website.
- Original and copy of your passport and UAE residence Visa.
- Passport size photos to attached in the form.
- Copy of Hotel Booking /Accommodation details.
- Copy of Flight Booking.
- Bank Statement – proof you can support yourself and your family during the duration of your trip.
- Employment Certificate – letter from employer confirming employment details
like your start date of employment, salary, designation, company contact details.
- Pre-paid Vouchers, or certificates relating to leisure activities (if applicable)
- Other supporting documents like, MOHRE contract, Emirates ID etc. (if applicable), photocopies of bank cards
Visit this link for more information.
STEP 5: APPOINTMENT
On the appointment date, you must bring your original passport and printed copies of all your supporting documents. You must also be at the location at least 15 minutes before your schedule.
On the appointment, they will be taking your photo and your finger print details.
STEP 6: TRACKING YOUR APPLICATION
After the appointment, you will be receiving an update of your application via email. You can also opt for the SMS tracking for an minimal fee.
STEP 7: PASSPORT COLLECTION
You will receive an email when the processed visa application is ready for collection. If a courier service has been paid, the passport will be delivered at your doorstep, if you did not purchase this service, you may collect the passport from the application center.
If you cannot collect the passport personally, you can write an authorization letter and have it collected by someone else.
For successful visa applicants, you will receive a stamped passport, for those unsuccessful, you will receive the passport and a letter with a brief explanation of the refusal.
Q:Does an infant need an appointment?
A: All the applicant will need to attend their appointments (inc. infant). One person will need one visa application and one appointment.
Q: Where can I purchase the SMS service /Courier service/Premium Lounge Service and other Services offered by the application centre?
Q: If I need the Visa urgently, how can I purchase the Super Priority/Priority Service?
A: Click here
Q: How to apply for a child Visitor Visa?
A: Click here
Q: How long must the passport be valid in order to apply for a UK visa?
A: A minimum of 6 months of validity remaining on your passport with at least one full page available which is blank on both sides.
Q: What if I missed my appointment?
A: If you missed your appointment and did not do a biometric process, you will need to make a new application on VISA4UK from the first step and request a refund for this visa application.
Q: How long does it take to process a refund?
A: Refund process may take up to 28 working days.
Q: What if I need my passport while my application is under process?
A: UKVI would hold on to the passport until a decision has been reached and the applicant will be informed, by the visa application center, that it is ready for collection. However, you can withdraw your application at any time. This means you will not get a visa and will not get a refund. If you would like to withdraw your application, you must complete a withdrawal form at the visa application center.
Update: You now have the option to keep your passport, check this link for more information
Q: How long can I stay in the UK with a Standard Visitor Visa?
A: You can only stay in the UK for a maximum of 6 months in any given 12 month period.
Disclaimer: The procedures specified on this blog are based on my own experience and is correct at the time of writing this entry. All information in the FAQ section was taken from the International Enquiry Service via email. You may ask them direct questions too, just click here.
Telephone: 00 44 203 481 1736
For more information:
Visit the the UK Immigration Website for further details.
I would love to hear from you. Leave a comment below!