My first question was, how easy/difficult could it be to start Keto diet in Dubai? As you know, it is a bit challenging to find Keto friendly ingredients, more so to look for it in Dubai groceries ( I just find the health sections corner have very limited options).
I started looking for Keto recipes online. Going through the required ingredients I was not familiar with, made me think twice. But, because of the health benefits I read on forums and blogs, I decided to give it a go.
In this journey, a friend of mine who also have lived in Dubai for a few years have become my trusted adviser. She has been on Keto for a couple of years, the weight lost and the good health benefits she claimed to have, just made me want to try the diet craze even more. She shared with me her Instagram page and I got ideas from the recipes she posts.
I started with a simple breakfast recipe I found in her instagram feed. This was the simplest that I can find. Of course I have to start with the basic.
Here’s the recipe:
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Flour – Earth’s Finest
- 1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter – Kerrygold
- 1 tsp. sweetener – Stevia
- 2 eggs – Jenan
- 2 tbsp. Cream cheese – American Heritage
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream – Puck
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup water
- Halloumi cheese – for filling – optional
- Mix together coconut flour, salt, sweetener and baking powder.
- On a separate bowl, mix together the butter, cream cheese, heavy cream and eggs.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Adjust the texture by adding water.
- Let it sit a few minutes to thicken.
- Fry in a not stick pan.
- Cut the halloumi cheese into thin slices and put in between two pancakes while in medium heat. Turn over and let the hallomi cheese melt and voila! A decent, edible, and tasty Keto-friendly pancake.
Surprisingly, all the ingredients for this were available in one store. I went to Carrefour and on the organic section I found the brand “Earth’s finest” coconut flour. I have tried other coconut flour before (renuka / organic foods and cafe) but this brand is by far my favorite. Aside from that, it is also very affordable for it’s quality and taste.
In the dairy section, I also found the American Heritage cream cheese. I feel like I have always been using the brand Philadelphia, and I wanted to try something else for a change and I liked the texture of it and I think it’s not that bad for the price.
I had the pancakes for breakfast and it was filling. It’s as if Im not in a low-carb diet. Looking forward to make this dish again. It’s satisfying, appetizing and easy to make.
Since I am just trying out Keto, reader’s advise and comments are encouraged.
- If you have a hard time looking for Ingredients, check this online shop of natural and healthy products. Use the code ADK3929 upon check out for a 5% discount.